The Chao Pinhole Technique - The New Gum Therapy

Posted by Tooth Doctors Tooth Doctors
by Kasia - As you may know we at The Tooth Doctors are constantly continuing our dental education to
bring our patients the latest and greatest technology and techniques. Dr. Wong has us
traveling to places like Las Vegas, Arizona and just recently Los Angeles.....we’re a lucky
bunch!
After the tours of Hollywood and Beverly Hills on an open air bus in 10 degree weather which
felt more like -10 we thawed ourselves out and headed to the gum recession and gum therapy
course involving the Chao Pinhole Technique.
Gum recession is a common dental problem among many adults which involves the gum tissue
which surrounds the tooth pulling away from the tooth and exposing the root. If left untreated this
can cause sensitivity or tooth loss, not to mention it is not the most aesthetically pleasing. To
treat these areas of recession we often recommend gum therapy.
Traditional gum therapy involves the surgical removal of tissue from another area of the mouth,
usually the palate, which is placed in the area of the recession and sutured into place. This can
often involve significant pain (think of a hot pizza burn on the top of your mouth x10!) There can
also be swelling present and a possibility of infection. Although this traditional technique can
still be beneficial for some cases, we have learned a new technique which can treat gum
recession.
The Pinhole Technique is a scalpel free, suture free procedure for correcting gum recession.
This technique offers an instant cosmetic improvement! We use specially designed instruments
to gently loosen the gum tissue and glide it over the area of recession. This technique can be
used for localized areas or a generalized areas. And there is minimal post operative symptoms
such as pain, swelling or bleeding! Wow - scalpel free, suture free and minimal pain vs pizza
burn x10!?!
Feel free to give us a call - we would be more than happy to give you more information in order to determine if Pinhole is right for you!